Monday, April 20, 2009

Spring Flowers





Even though the weather today is kind of blustery and cool and wet, I am still thinking about planting flowers. My challenge is to find flowers that I like, and that the rabbits and squirrels DON'T like!  What I have found in the past is that rabbits will eat almost ANYTHING, even if they don't like it.

So I've done some research and come up with a list of things that will grow here. One plant that my friend Emma introduced me to is Hellebore. It comes in beautiful colors, is hardy, and is supposed to bloom early. I think it may be more common in England, but it is definitely on my list.


Another plant I have been wanting to grow is lavender; I am also going to try some other herbs, like rosemary and thyme. I know the rabbits will eat basil, but I think they will leave rosemary and thyme alone. 

A good plant for attracting hummingbirds (as well as bees ) is bee balm. I love its colors and I think it is hardy, too. 

You might be able to tell that I am not really a gardener - but I do enjoy the color and fragrance.   If anyone has other suggestions, other than a pellet gun, for keeping rabbits away, please let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment