Sunday, April 5, 2009

Another Challenge



I have mentioned how much I enjoy doing quilt challenges. A year or so ago, I had a challenge with one of my very traditional quilting buddies. I got to define the challenge and choose the fabrics. How could you not enjoy these delicious colors and batiks?

The challenge was simple: you had to do something you had never done before, and the result could NOT be a rectangle or a square.


I decided to do a self portrait, and used two  similar photos of me that had been taken on a delightful monthlong vacation on St. George Island on the "Forgotten Coast" of Florida. 

After I did the piecing and quilting, I sewed beads on it right up to the deadline. In addition to never having done a self-portrait, another thing that I had never done was prairie points. I like their effect on the border.  My non-rectangle shape was a trapezoid, and I have used that shape several times since then; I like its symmetry, and except for the beaded kimono, the quilt can be reversed, top to bottom.

My friend's result was wonderful, all curves, and very much "out of the box." 

It was her turn to issue the next challenge and choose the fabrics, and I will talk about that soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment