Monday, April 27, 2009

Birds of a feather...


Another glorious day, perfect for sitting in the shade finishing some handwork on this rooster and hen quilt. This is based on the Phil Beaver rooster and hen pattern, but I have put my own spin on it. 

The background is some of my favorite hand-dyed yellow. As I said before, I am always reluctant to cut into my hand-dyed fabric, but I don't know what I am saving it for, and it's not like I can't make some more.

These chickens are so much fun to make,  with each feather cut and applied individually. Another case of "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts."  Chicken parts. The feet and the comb and those other red things on their heads (wattles?) are more ultrasuede scraps.

If you look on the rooster's "mane" those feathers are from a flower fabric. And of course, it's another great use for scraps, too.




























There are lots of wonderful batiks, too. It's fun to fussy-cut the fabric for the tail, the breast, etc.

I still have more machine quilting to do, and a little more thread-play on the grass and the sun.
Pieces like this are good practice pieces for the skills I need to work on, like free-motion machine quilting.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment