Friday, April 3, 2009

Cloned Embryonic Stem Cells


I love quilt challenges, and I love having a "theme" to stir up the creative juices and set me off on a different direction.

I was in an art quilt group at one of our fabric shops here, and I encouraged them to give the group a challenge. The shop owner had a basket of fabric circles that they had cut with a new circle cutter; they gave each person a few circles, and the challenge was completely open-ended - just do something with circles.

I had several false starts. First i did an abstract, with circles and yarn. Then I tried a celestial theme with stars and suns and moons. Then I tried some hot air balloons with a Derby festival theme.

By then, I only had two green circles left, and I couldn't abort this mission again.
So, after some research online, I did cloned embryonic stem cells, and got to play with Angelina to create an other worldly effect on my microscopic rendition of something I'd only seen a drawing of. It was a good result, and got some good comments at the next group meeting.

It was so much fun seeing all the different interpretations of the theme from the men and women at the meeting. Lots of humorous pieces, and some very artistic ones, too.

I'll talk some more about other challenges later.

No comments:

Post a Comment