Wednesday, March 23, 2011

practice in machine quilting...

The stitches don't show up well on some of the colors of silk,
but I am using the strips for practice on various machine quilting patterns.

My friend Emma told me that Frieda Anderson's blog has some good tips on machine quilting, and I also have my notes from a class I took several years ago, along with several magazine articles that had good tips and examples...

The secret is no secret at all: PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!

With 72 strips on this quilt, plus an extra square, I will be able to try a number of different designs. Some colors will photograph better than others, so I may post a few more pictures in a day or two...

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The beginning of a series?

I recently came across a very old, dusty wash board, and since no one seemed to want it anymore, I claimed it.

I cleaned it off, and decided it would be the perfect frame for a miniature quilt I have been wanting to make.

I found some tiny clothespins at Hobby Lobby, and got busy fusing and cutting a little wardrobe of laundry. I love making quilts using scraps, and this entire quilt (only 8" x 8") was made using scraps...

I now have acquired several more washboards, so I am gathering fabrics and ideas for additional miniature quilts, to be framed by the wash boards. It gives me a chance to practice thread painting, and most of all, to have fun!

I took it to my Monday night group last night, and it got a few oohs and aahs...

Silk Nine Patch

Things seen to be happening in slow motion on this blog. I do have several pieces finished, finally.

But first, here is a pieced, but not quilted, experiment in silk.

I have been working a lot in silk lately, and I find the colors and texture and appearance absolutely delicious. I cut strips from all the colors I have, and randomly sewed them into 12" x 12" squares. (I did not repeat a color in any square.) I had a few scraps of beautiful marbled silk that I had bought at a workshop given by Marlene Glickman. I sewed the scraps into strips, and they add a nice dimension to the piece.

I then sewed the squares into a nine-patch, and am trying to decide how much to quilt them. I don't want to lose the sheen of the silk, but it could be a good practice piece for free-motion quilting...

Most of the silk is dupioni silk, purchased from Waechter's in Asheville. The dupioni has such a wonderful texture and substance. I fused the pieces onto pellon backing, but still had some ravelling.

Once I decide how to quilt it and finish it, I will post another picture.