Monday, May 25, 2009

The Ugly Fabric Challenge



Several days ago, I mentioned the Ugly Fabric Challenge issued by my quilt group. We each drew fabric from a grab-bag, and the piece I drew is pictured here.

Actually, I don't think it's ugly at all!  The challenge is to make two quilts, one to keep, and one for the person who donated the fabric.





My first piece is here, a little 18" x 18" quilt based on the subject matter of the fabric - shoes and purses. 

It has a nine-patch, bordered on two sides by the focus fabric.

On eight of the squares, I fused cutouts of shoes, with minimal stitching on them.

There is just a little stitch-in-the-ditch quilting on the quilt.





In the center square of the nine-patch, there is a little purse, just tacked on. It is an actual little purse, with some beading on the flap. I have to give Bob credit for that idea. He is full of good ideas! Is there a word for a male Muse???



It is a fun little quilt, and I think the person who gets it will be pleased. She is a very good quilter, but new to beading, so inside the little purse I 
will put a little bag of beads. 

My mother always said that when you give a purse to someone, it should not be empty.




















The second item I am making is just a little quilted zippered bag, and I will get to keep that one.


No comments:

Post a Comment