Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Perfect Storm


I've mentioned before how much I enjoy doing foundation piecing. And I've also said that I don't often do traditional quilt blocks.


So, having gotten "CourtHouse Steps" out of my system (one with the same fabric group that you see here,) I'm moving on to another block I have wanted to try for a long time - "Storm at Sea."  I am definitely using foundation piecing for this one, for the accuracy I want with the points.


I'm doing this for a birthday present for an August birthday, for someone who loves the celestial images, the sun and the moon and the stars. And I love the focus fabric, shown in the centers of the blocks here. I know she will, too, because I made a bed quilt for her several years ago with the same theme.

Rather than doing an entire block, I started with the center blocks, fussy-cutting the images in the centers. I did it like an assembly line, so only Phase I is shown here.

I'm ready now to do the rectangular pieces, and there are 24 of them; I also fussy-cut their centers from the focus fabric, and I am ready to add the yellow, gold and orange corners to them.






These are not great photos, but you can see the happy combination of the blues and golds.











I am intrigued by the way the straight lines in the piecing can give the illusion of curves in the finished piece. It will be a while before I can see it on this quilt. 

It will be a small wall-hanging.



No comments:

Post a Comment