While I wait to take my baby quilt to Anita to quilt on her machine, I decided to work on the challenge for my Art Quilt group, which meets next Monday.
The challenge is to do a piece, any size, that is NOT a square or rectangle, and that does not have traditional binding.
So I decided do do a couple of "silly birds." I love making things from scraps, so I made several silly birds to use in this challenge.
The first one is on a triangle background, and instead of binding, I decided to make the edging with copper rivets.
So I gathered my equipment and supplies - a hammer and punch to get the hole ready, and then the rivet gun and rivets.
I put the long side on the top, in case I want to hang it up. It was great fun; I haven't done any riveting in a while.
There is a little bit of hand sewing, and then it is ready.
I have another bird ready to finish today, and then I will be ready for the meeting.
I love the colors on this, and I love the background. I just did a little quilting, and I will do a little more quilting on the bird's feathers.
I call it "Blue-Footed Booby with Pink Bloomers"
It is a whimsical piece, and after working so hard for so long to make the baby quilt just perfect, it is fun to relax and have fun for a couple of days.
I will post a picture of the other bird tomorrow.