Sunday, May 31, 2009

Button, button....



Did you see CBS Sunday Morning on TV this morning?

They did a feature on a wonderful button shop called "Tender Buttons."

I remember my first time in that delightful little shop. It was definitely sensory overload. 


There are two shops, one in Chicago, and the other in New York City. They are both tiny shops, and you feel like you are walking back in time when you enter.

Years ago, when I made wearables, mostly vests and tunics, I could justify buying special buttons  for special projects.  The temptations were so great, and at that time when I had "disposable income", I didn't resist the irresistable. 





Also, on my first trip to Asheville, NC, about 10 years ago, I also discovered another treasure trove of beautiful buttons, Waechter's Silk Shop, on a street parallel to the main highway. They had great fabric, but I was most impressed with their collection of very unusual ( and expensive) buttons. I have been back several times. Last time I bought four beautiful orange and black buttons, and a set of blue and yellow buttons. I designed two little quilts around those color combinations, and they are happy reminders of that trip.

We're going to a wedding near Asheville in July, and I can't wait to return to Waechter's. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the button comments on your blog. I found the CBS Sunday morning story fascinating. They showed The Joker (Jack Nicholson) buttons used on his shirts in the BATMAN movie - do you have any pictures of those.

    Thanks,

    David Fay

    ReplyDelete