Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Just What I need...More Books


These are the two books that I ordered at my quilt group Monday night. This Art Quilt book has some wonderful ideas and photos. 

One reason I bought it is that it has several sections discussing group activities.

One activity that our group is going to do later this summer is what the book calls  "Exquisite Corpse."  I call it "Fractured Photos." 

You take a photo that is not too complicated, such as a landscape, and cut it into three or four vertical slices, horizontal slices, or into four "quarters."

Then give a section to each person, and they create a quilt part for that section. You have to have some agreement about size and colors, but the fabrics each person uses will be different. Then you bring the pieces back together like a jigsaw puzzle.


I have seen it done, and I have wanted to do it for years. So as a group, we are looking at photos from catalogs, travel pictures people have taken, anything that is not copyrighted. It should be a lot of fun. 



The book on embellishment has lots of good ideas, and details about how to make felt beads, Angelina beads, and all sorts of other creative embellishments.



I am not interested in painting on quilts. I learned long ago that God did not mean for me ever to hold a paintbrush in my hand. But there are lots of other great embellishment ideas in here.




No comments:

Post a Comment