Saturday, March 6, 2010

Ain't nature great?



If anyone is still out there, I'm back!

I was fortunate to escape the terrible weather in Louisville in February,  and landed in a somewhat warmer spot in Florida. Even though the weather was kinda chilly there, too, I have no complaints.


We were in an area with a lot of wildlife conservation, and of course I had my camera to capture some photos for possible quilt ideas. This ibis is definitely a quilt waiting to happen, with his striking coral beak and legs.














A friend has asked me to make a quilt picturing a blue heron, so this little guy was nice enough to pose for me.

















The water  was so clear at these springs we visited. The texture of the underwater grasses made a wonderful photo.























This cormorant drying his wings made another striking photo.










No, this is NOT a quilt waiting to happen! We saw dozens of alligators, because it was a sunny day, and they came on shore to warm up.






One high point for me was a road trip to a gallery in Quincy, Florida. They were having a faculty show which included a number of quilts by Valerie Goodwin. I really admire her work, and was thrilled to see it in person. As many things do, her work looked very different in person than it does in photos. Textiles are a real challenge to capture in photos.

If you want to look at her work, here is her website:   http://www.quiltsbyvalerie.com/ 


























No comments:

Post a Comment