Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year



We had planned a trip to the mountains near Asheville, North Carolina after Christmas, but predicted bad weather kept us from venturing out.

A young friend who did go (in his 4-wheel-drive SUV) sent me this altered photo of "Max Patch," a beautiful spot in the mountains on the Appalachian Trail, where you can get 360 degree views of the splendor found there.








It was definitely a "quilt waiting to happen." But it didn't have to wait very long. I immediately got out the silks I have been collecting and using during the past few months.  Even though silk ravels, if you fuse it onto a lightweight backing, it behaves very nicely, and was perfect for this landscape. 








After three days of working with the Japanese patterns for squares, I was ready for some free form work, just cutting as I go, layering this landscape.

Then I made a trip to Hancock's Fabric to take advantage of their 50% sale on thread. I stocked up on a bunch of blues and greens and bronzes, and now I am ready for some thread painting.

This will be a gift to the friend who sent the photo, as a "thank you" for sharing a beautiful image.




No comments:

Post a Comment