Monday, January 18, 2010

Penny Sisto Show



While running errands this morning, I passed the Jewish Community Center, and saw that a show by Penny Sisto had just opened there. I had just commented the other day that it was about time for another show by this amazingly prolific fabric artist.

I took the time to go in and see the show, and it was a beautiful collection of her portraits.

Like her other shows, her figures cross many cultures, nationalities, religions and ages.

Her use of many different fabrics, from silks and velvets to upholstery fabrics and tapestries, brings  life to her figures, enhanced by her quilting and stitching. I had several favorites, but one really stood out for me - "Maya Un-caged", a very symbolic triptych based on Maya Angelou's book, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings . 

It is a wonderful show, please go if you are in the area.


No comments:

Post a Comment