Saturday, March 21, 2009

Nontraditional quilt with a traditional square



Here's a photo of my wool quilt. Although I rarely do traditional quilt squares, I am doing this quilt for a friend who is a federal judge, and I thought the CourtHouse Steps would be appropriate.

It is all pieced and ready to quilt. The strips are cut from men's suits, trousers and jackets. The centers are Ultrasuede (no two the same color). They are from Ultrasuede I had in my stash, and many are from scraps given to me by a quilter friend whose husband has an interior design shop.

The quilt is ready for the batting and backing. I will use Thermore for a lightweight batting, and the backing is a gorgeous rose color Dupioni silk. I hope to tie it with 2 mm. silk ribbon, if I can pull it though with a needle.

As soon as I get my worktable cleared off, I will try to get this finished.

1 comment:

  1. This is VERY nice! If you can find a wing point needle to use it might make the tieing easier. A needle like an upholsterer would use for hand sewing through heavier fabrics. Baer used to have the needles but I'm not sure where you could find one now. Maybe an upholstery fabric shop?

    ReplyDelete