Monday, March 23, 2009

Dyeing Fabric the Un-Scientific Way



First, a few words about the blue map of Kentucky at the heading of my Blog. It was the third in a series of Kentucky maps I made. It is all hand-dyed fabric, and I don't know about you, but it is hard for me to cut into fabric I have dyed. I don't know what I think I am saving it for, but I decided to use my favorite blues for this "BlueGrass" map. I love sewing with strips, and I love using scraps, so this was a perfect project for that. The blades of grass at the bottom are fused on at the bottom, and can wave freely at the top.
I love dyeing fabric, and love the magic of the results - I never know what am going to get, and I could never reproduce my results if I tried. Several years ago, some young friends were getting married, and I offered to make them a quilt for their wedding present. They loved the idea, and, since they had traveled to Morocco, they asked that it have a Moroccan theme. I did some research, and decided to dye fabrics in those rich Moroccan colors, and make it to resemble a rug. Dyeing fabrics for this project was a challenge, but I loved the brilliant colors I got. The "rug" turned out well, and they are very happy with it hanging on their living room wall. They are now expecting their first baby, and I am planning a "Baby Bargello" quilt for the new addition to their family.

1 comment:

  1. I want to see that Baby Bargello....oh my that will be sooo cute. Can you imagine a pix of a little cutie with that quilt? :) Can't wait to see!!!

    ReplyDelete