Saturday, August 22, 2009

Zucchini Basil Soup



My purple basil plant has more than doubled in size since this photo was taken. It was definitely time for my favorite soup, Zucchini Basil Soup.

I use a recipe I got from Gourmet Magazine in 1987,  and it has been my favorite summer soup to make ever since; it can be served hot or cool.

Zucchini Basil Soup

1 C. chopped onion
2 Tb olive oil
1 lb zucchini, cut in slices
3 C. chicken broth (I use low-fat low-sodium)

2 C. firmly packed basil leaves
1 Tb minced garlic
2 tsp balsamic vinegar

Cook onion in oil, low heat, til softened. Add garlic.

Add zucchini and salt and pepper to taste. Cook covered about 4 minutes.

Add broth and about 1 C water, bring to a boil, and simmer , covered, about 10 minutes.

Add basil, and simmer about 1 minute

Let cool, puree, and stir in vinegar.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Can serve hot or cool.  Add a basil leaf for garnish. 


Most of my old recipes from Gourmet from 20 years ago are too creamy or buttery for these days of being more health conscious. But this one is healthy, and absolutely easy and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment