When I started making little mini-quilts for my "washboard" series, I thought that a Sunbonnet Sue image would be a natural.
What I didn't realize at the time was how much fun it would be!
I got some encouragement (and a pattern) from my friend Joan, and I think she may return to some Sunbonnet Sue designs that she started earlier.
I had so much fun choosing the fabrics for her dress, apron, and hat. I always enjoy projects that allow me to use scraps, and this one was perfect for that.
I needed an activity for her, and another friend, Mary Jane, had given me some kite fabric, so I used that for the backing, and made a kite for her, using some hand-dyed gold fabric.
The lower left of the quilt looked a little empty, so I made a rose bush, with fusible roses, and sewed a few beads on.
This also gave me a chance for more practice doing FMQ with my new sewing machine.
This was a nice diversion from the bigger projects I was working on, and the beads gave me some hand sewing to carry to my quilt guild on Friday.
I am sure I will be doing some more Sunbonnet Sues. The next one might be Japanese, with a kimono and obi from my Japanese fabrics.