Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Silk Nine Patch

Things seen to be happening in slow motion on this blog. I do have several pieces finished, finally.

But first, here is a pieced, but not quilted, experiment in silk.

I have been working a lot in silk lately, and I find the colors and texture and appearance absolutely delicious. I cut strips from all the colors I have, and randomly sewed them into 12" x 12" squares. (I did not repeat a color in any square.) I had a few scraps of beautiful marbled silk that I had bought at a workshop given by Marlene Glickman. I sewed the scraps into strips, and they add a nice dimension to the piece.

I then sewed the squares into a nine-patch, and am trying to decide how much to quilt them. I don't want to lose the sheen of the silk, but it could be a good practice piece for free-motion quilting...

Most of the silk is dupioni silk, purchased from Waechter's in Asheville. The dupioni has such a wonderful texture and substance. I fused the pieces onto pellon backing, but still had some ravelling.

Once I decide how to quilt it and finish it, I will post another picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment