Thursday, June 3, 2010

Not a Quiche, Not a Frittata



A while back, a friend gave us a delicious apple pie. I wanted to return her pie plate, but I have a rule never to return a food vessel empty.

So when I knew we were going to see her today, I decided to try a new recipe using some fresh summer veggies.

It is a recipe that appeared several weeks ago in the New York TImes Magazine, one of my favorite sources of recipes. It is a recipe from 1977, but not full of heavy cream like many recipes from back then.

It is basically a cross between a quiche and a frittata, with no crust.

One could use any fresh summer vegetables, and I used fresh asparagus, country ham, and fontina cheese. It also has slices of red bell peppers, and parsley. I used to make frittatas all the time, using zucchini, squash, onions, whatever I had on hand.

I have more fresh asparagus, along with the other ingredients, so I think I will make another one to keep.  It is a good source of protein, and a good way to cook something ahead that is appetizing and good for you...



No comments:

Post a Comment