Friday, November 26, 2010

Here I am again!






























The last time I wrote, several months ago, I lamented that I hadn't been doing much sewing...

In October, I went to my Monday night group at the Forget-Me-Knot quilt shop, and when they had show-and-tell, I had to say "I got nuthin." It was very difficult, because I almost always have something that I have been working on.

But after that night, I was determined to have something for the next meeting. Our challenge was to make a quilt based on a photo. The photo was a still life taken by Robert, one of our most talented members.

I did a very literal translation of the photo. I found some perfect blue and
white fabric for the teapot, and I enjoyed doing some thread painting on the lemons.

I was also pleased with the way the shadows turned out. I showed it to the group, and they made a few polite comments.

THEN, Robert showed his interpretation of the same photo, (photo shown below) and he got applause and practically got a standing ovation. But that is what is nice about our group. It is a very supportive and friendly group, and there are people in it at all levels of experience and accomplishment.

However, I was glad I showed mine first; his would have been a hard act to follow. A very masterful use of fabric, and wonderfully embellished.

I am still working, and have less time to sew than I did, but that is a reason I am sewing less, not an excuse. I am working on several Christmas gifts, and then I hope to get back to some of the other unfinished pieces I have, as well as several I have planned. If there is still anyone out there reading this, stay tuned.....



























No comments:

Post a Comment